Do what you love and love what you do .. create with passion.

Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Hei Matau

A hei matau is a bone or greenstone carving in the shape of a highly stylised fish hook typical of the Māori people of New Zealand. It represents strength, good luck and safe travel across water.
This is a birthday gift I made for someone who is from New Zealand.





The fish hook is made from polymer clay. The book "Making Polymer Clay Beads" by Carol Blackburn has a great tutorial on how to make faux bone. Once the shape was baked and still warm I carved my inner shape. Then I used silver metallic alcohol ink to color the indention. When dry I mixed a batch of resin and slowly added it into the carved space. My last step was to add a bit more color ... I wanted the look of the ocean. So I used some blue pigment ink. And with a toothpick slowly swirled it through the resin till I got the affect I wanted.

I think it looks great. Very natural.
Love Always .... Carla

No comments:

Post a Comment